Monday, January 26, 2015

Pinspiration Monday - Housecoats

Am I alone in wishing housecoats or dressing robes were still a thing? I suppose I love the idea of a pretty dress-like garment to cover up my comfy but ugly sweats, lol, to be able to glide around the house in a lovely full skirt, to grab breakfast looking glamorous without yet being dressed. There are so many great vintage patterns out there, though if I used one it would have to be altered quite a bit to fit me! The great thing, though, is since it's just an outer garment to wear around the house, it doesn't have to be perfect. This is the kind of thing I'd LOVE to make to sell, too. Perhaps I'll get the courage to try one someday! In the meantime, here are some lovely examples of housecoats and dressing gowns to drool over. :-)

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Love the kerchief tie at the front on this one!
 
 
Those sleeves!
 
 
That inverted pleat at the back! Just scrumptious.
 
 
 Finally, some quilted lovelies. It's like wearing a blanket that makes you look fabulous!
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally love these housecoats! Bucket list. There is a dissertation on it on the web. Very informative. The use of housecoats was loosely defined and they were hard to sell to consumers.

These often had a dress pattern with them. Just use a vintage dress pattern. I plan to make a double breasted housecoat, mid-calf. Buttons stopping just before the hip. I will swish around..

Thanks for your blog.