Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Chinese Tea Party Dress - Simplicity 8244

I've had Simplicity 8244 on my short list to sew for a while, so when I was invited to a friends tea party with a Chinese theme, I figured it was the perfect excuse! I dug through my stash and decided on a lovely berry pink floral print cotton.


Since I tend to sew garments with full skirts mostly, I'm always a little bit nervous when tackling a skirt or dress with a slimmer fit. I went with the size 22, no FBA, but after measuring the pattern pieces at the hips (I couldn't find garment measurements for them on the pattern) I decided to add a few inches just to be safe. I'm always worried about busting a seam when I sit down, lol!


The dress went together fairly easily! My one big mistake, a common one for me when I'm cutting out anything that isn't just on the fold or doubled, is I cut the front piece backwards, oops! I realized it when I was checking to make sure I didn't cut out the shoulder piece wrong, lol. Ah well, I figure most people won't know it attaches the wrong way at the shoulder.




It was my first time using frogs, I just love what a statement they make, and I was impressed with how well they worked (I'm always worried things will just pop out!)




Though I don't like facings, I went ahead and followed the pattern using them since I didn't want to fully line it (it's SO hot outside, we've had a 100+ streak lately that I'm ready to leave behind). I did, however, make a slip using Gertie's Butterick 6031. It was very simple to make and was exactly what I needed, I'll likely make more soon.



I was very happy with the final result, it was comfortable, and not too hot (even with the high neck, I was a little worried it would suffocate me but I was fine), and bonus I got a couple compliments from strangers when I stopped at the store on the way home, always a boost!



Saturday, May 19, 2018

36th Birthday "May Flowers" Dress



This was a very fun and pretty quick make! I always like to make myself a birthday dress, this year I was in the mood for something flowery and spring-like. (Ok honestly when am I not in the mood for that?) I had this lovely yellow and pink rose Gertie fabric that I'd been hoarding for a while, and decided it was time to use it. I pulled out Butterick 5748 since I wanted a fairly simple pattern that would just let the fabric speak for itself.


I also decided to make up a matching bolero using Butterick 6354. It was my first time using it and I'll definitely be using it again, simple and quick and exactly what I wanted!
As luck would have it, Mccall's was having a Royal Wedding Sew Along and I decided to slap on a fascinator and join in the fun. :-)








I've been sort of stuck in a rut of not finishing things lately, so it was nice to work on a simple project and finish it. Hoping that will motivate me to get all the other stuff done!



A special thanks to my hubby for helping me with some outside pics! I always want to get some but it's much easier to use the remote function on my camera inside where there's a table, lol.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Valentine's Day Dress - Gertie Princess Seam Bodice



Well it has been a little while since I last posted, but I've been pretty busy sewing! My latest make for myself was for Valentine's Day. I used some red/pink gingham shirting I'd had in my closet for a while, and decided to use the princess seam bodice from Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book, and one of my favorite skirt shapes, the overskirt from the Walkaway Dress Pattern B4790 (with pockets added of course), just like I used for one of my first franken-patterns

I decided to take the time to get a really great fit for the bodice, and followed the instructions in the book to do a Full Bust Adjustment on a princess seam. I also added length to the bodice, and added width to the 3/4 sleeves. I was extremely happy with the result! I think this is the first time a princess seam bodice didn't squish my bust, and I love that it fits and yet is also very comfortable to wear. 














I will definitely be using this bodice again now that I've altered it to fit me, I already have a couple other dresses to make in mind, and want to experiment with different skirts (gathered, pleated, circle). So stay tuned!


Thursday, October 19, 2017

Queen Victoria Dress


This project was so much fun! Have you seen the PBS show Victoria? I've watched it several times now, can't wait for season 2. After a friend of mine and her daughter watched it, they decided they wanted a Queen Victoria dress for Halloween.

Of course, that meant I had to watch it again for research purposes, lol! Here are some of the dresses I ended up using for inspiration.





I decided to go with the wide neck, puffed sleeves, lace trim details, and a belt.

I used McCalls 6420 for the bodice because of the puffed sleeves.
I cut the neck quite a bit lower and wider to get that Victorian neckline. I had more adventures in dyeing, using the same fabric I used for the princess dress, but going for a darker green. This actually ended up having a hand in influencing the design.


I had to dye in batches, and one of the batches turned out slightly different in color. I decided to add the overskirt to tie in the different colors a bit, as having the top and bottom a bit different seemed a little jarring to me.

So here she is!








I love cameo jewelry, so I decided to add a little piece at the neck, in addition to the lace, ruched trim, and bow.




I also made a hoopskirt for this one, and added some lovely pleated lace I found.





Just for fun I stuck this over the giant Ikea hoop skirt I bought a while back, there's so much skirt that it fit just fine, lol, though it was a bit too short.




So there's another fun period inspired dress done, I'm looking through my fabric stash for more to make!