Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Raspberry Mocha Day Dress



Have you ever made something that you didn't expect much out of, and it ended up being something you wear all the time? That was the case with this dress! I really made this dress as a wearable muslin, out of a kind of drab dark pink and mocha cotton fabric I'd gotten at a liquidation sale for very cheap. The bodice is actually McCalls 6466, the pattern I used for the bridesmaid dresses I will one day post about!


I whipped this up just to see how the bodice overlay went together. I grabbed what I had in my stash, and figured I could use it as a day dress to wear mostly around the house.


I think that usually, when I'm planning a dress for myself, I tend to always want to go fancy. Because of that, I end up making really nice dresses that I don't feel like wearing while I'm doing chores around the house or running around doing errands.


Sorry for the wrinkles, I really was wearing this today!!
But since this dress is simple and plainer than usual for me, I'm happy to wear it for any occasion. It's super comfortable too!



For the skirt, I just did a simple rectangular gathered dirndl type, but not gathered in the center front (I prefer the fullness on the sides and in the back.) I also added a fun little lace and ribbon trim! I always have at least one pocket in full skirts, and this one was no exception.



I also have a waist stay inside, which makes such a difference to help just cinch that waist in. (I have lots of options there for a fluctuating waistline, lol.)



I just feel so comfy in this dress, and I wear it so much more than I ever planned to! It has made me realize I need to add some more plain, simple day dresses to my wardrobe.



Every time I start planning though I want to go fancy!! I just need to tame that desire, though, as I know I'll get more use out of another simpler dress if I wear it as much as this one.

No comments: