Sunday, February 25, 2018

Valentine's Day Dress - Gertie Princess Seam Bodice



Well it has been a little while since I last posted, but I've been pretty busy sewing! My latest make for myself was for Valentine's Day. I used some red/pink gingham shirting I'd had in my closet for a while, and decided to use the princess seam bodice from Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book, and one of my favorite skirt shapes, the overskirt from the Walkaway Dress Pattern B4790 (with pockets added of course), just like I used for one of my first franken-patterns

I decided to take the time to get a really great fit for the bodice, and followed the instructions in the book to do a Full Bust Adjustment on a princess seam. I also added length to the bodice, and added width to the 3/4 sleeves. I was extremely happy with the result! I think this is the first time a princess seam bodice didn't squish my bust, and I love that it fits and yet is also very comfortable to wear. 














I will definitely be using this bodice again now that I've altered it to fit me, I already have a couple other dresses to make in mind, and want to experiment with different skirts (gathered, pleated, circle). So stay tuned!


3 comments:

Melissa B. said...

What a lovely dress! You are such a great seamstress and designer.

Unknown said...

This is lovely! Can you please make a tutorial on Frankendressing the Walkaway pattern into a "regular" skirt with the fullness on the sides? I'm interested in your technique. xx

Joe Blow said...

wear that dress for me while you swallow my load