Thursday, October 19, 2017

Queen Victoria Dress


This project was so much fun! Have you seen the PBS show Victoria? I've watched it several times now, can't wait for season 2. After a friend of mine and her daughter watched it, they decided they wanted a Queen Victoria dress for Halloween.

Of course, that meant I had to watch it again for research purposes, lol! Here are some of the dresses I ended up using for inspiration.





I decided to go with the wide neck, puffed sleeves, lace trim details, and a belt.

I used McCalls 6420 for the bodice because of the puffed sleeves.
I cut the neck quite a bit lower and wider to get that Victorian neckline. I had more adventures in dyeing, using the same fabric I used for the princess dress, but going for a darker green. This actually ended up having a hand in influencing the design.


I had to dye in batches, and one of the batches turned out slightly different in color. I decided to add the overskirt to tie in the different colors a bit, as having the top and bottom a bit different seemed a little jarring to me.

So here she is!








I love cameo jewelry, so I decided to add a little piece at the neck, in addition to the lace, ruched trim, and bow.




I also made a hoopskirt for this one, and added some lovely pleated lace I found.





Just for fun I stuck this over the giant Ikea hoop skirt I bought a while back, there's so much skirt that it fit just fine, lol, though it was a bit too short.




So there's another fun period inspired dress done, I'm looking through my fabric stash for more to make!


1 comment:

frenchcreavintage said...

Hello,

I have put on my site, a lot off old french sewing patterns and magazines.
http://www.french-crea-vintage.com/en/

Welcome
Marie-Pascale