Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Chinese Tea Party Dress - Simplicity 8244

I've had Simplicity 8244 on my short list to sew for a while, so when I was invited to a friends tea party with a Chinese theme, I figured it was the perfect excuse! I dug through my stash and decided on a lovely berry pink floral print cotton.


Since I tend to sew garments with full skirts mostly, I'm always a little bit nervous when tackling a skirt or dress with a slimmer fit. I went with the size 22, no FBA, but after measuring the pattern pieces at the hips (I couldn't find garment measurements for them on the pattern) I decided to add a few inches just to be safe. I'm always worried about busting a seam when I sit down, lol!


The dress went together fairly easily! My one big mistake, a common one for me when I'm cutting out anything that isn't just on the fold or doubled, is I cut the front piece backwards, oops! I realized it when I was checking to make sure I didn't cut out the shoulder piece wrong, lol. Ah well, I figure most people won't know it attaches the wrong way at the shoulder.




It was my first time using frogs, I just love what a statement they make, and I was impressed with how well they worked (I'm always worried things will just pop out!)




Though I don't like facings, I went ahead and followed the pattern using them since I didn't want to fully line it (it's SO hot outside, we've had a 100+ streak lately that I'm ready to leave behind). I did, however, make a slip using Gertie's Butterick 6031. It was very simple to make and was exactly what I needed, I'll likely make more soon.



I was very happy with the final result, it was comfortable, and not too hot (even with the high neck, I was a little worried it would suffocate me but I was fine), and bonus I got a couple compliments from strangers when I stopped at the store on the way home, always a boost!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous...I'm a cuddly gal too and have stopped at the waist and skirts...but you have shown me it's great! Thanks so much! JillyA

Marie said...

Lovely. You did a fabulous job.

Jenny R. Sherrill said...

OH! I wish I had seen this a day ago Anyway. I have beautiful Chinese silk my hubs brought me from a business trip and I'm coming in on the homestretch and praying the 22 fits me as beautifully as it fits you. (I added a little at the hips and I'm hoping it does the trick.)