first attempt several years ago. It's amazing to think how far things have progressed since then, it was one of the first patterns I used, one of the first dresses I made for myself, and I was so scared of patterns! Now I have a huge pattern stash and I love making dresses for other people. :-)
I made a few alterations to the pattern, though. I wanted something that could be worn over a regular petticoat, rather than having to make the split front version I did the first time around. In order to do that, I knew the underdress portion, the front, needed to be fuller in the skirt. So, instead of a sheath type dress underneath, I decided to cut the front pattern piece at the bodice, and then attach a gathered skirt. (Sorry for not getting a clear pic of this, in typical fashion I was sewing up to the second I handed the dress over so I didn't get a chance to take lots of detailed pics!)
I also saw this version of the walkaway with ties, and loved it! So I decided to add ties, which also made it a bit more easily adjustable.
We went with a simple white for the underdress, and a navy floral for the overdress. When she tried it on at her fitting, we agreed it needed a little something around the neckline, so I added a floral lace trim that went perfectly!
For the attachment of the underdress at the back, I wanted something with a little bit of give. I thought about it, and remembered seeing bra hook extenders or replacements at the fabric store, which I thought would be perfect! They hook nice and snugly, have a couple hooks to choose from like on a bra, and have some elastic built in for a bit of give. So I bought some and sewed them on, and it was exactly what I was looking for.
I'm pretty pleased with the end result, especially with the alterations I made! Maybe I'll even make another one for myself at some point.