Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Pinspiration Tuesday - Rain Bonnets

Running a bit late with my Monday post, mostly due to preparations for the trip! So as I was planning for the trip to Scotland and trying to anticipate appropriate attire for lots of rainy days, it was recommended to me by an online Scottish friend that I pick up a "rain mate." I had to google...and then fell in love! Also known as a rain bonnet, it's just a plastic little head covering to wear in the rain, and it used to be something ladies carried around in their purses to pop on when needed!

I'm always amazed when adorable and functional items like these suddenly disappear from cultural awareness. I mean, sure, ladies don't generally have to worry about pin-curled hair, and I don't really need this in Texas (when it rains here you can't really walk around in it, as it's usually torrential rain or nothing, so a plastic bonnet won't do much!) But I just love the concept, especially as it makes big bulky dripping wet umbrellas less of a necessity.  I went looking for any place I might find one, and I may even end up making something similar to take with me. I'll be sure to share what I end up doing! In the meantime, here are some lovely examples, both vintage and modern. :-)



 
The style above used to come in these tiny adorable boxes!!!
 
 
Here's a modern reincarnation! If I'd had time I would have ordered one, but no such luck!
 

No comments: