As I mentioned in my capelet post, I also loved the idea of having a red velvet capelet to go with it. That part was much more difficult than I'd expected! But first the dress...
I gathered various inspiration pics, mostly of red velvets and white tulles together.
And some capelet inspiration!
Originally I was thinking of having a two-tiered skirt, like this one:
But after starting the process of adding the top tier, it was getting messy and difficult, and I felt there was enough fullness with just the bottom tier so decided against it in the end.
As for the bodice, I decided to go with a simple V-neck crossover, and used the bodice from New Look 6557, view B.
Usually crossover necklines want to gape and pull over my full bust, but I was impressed with this pattern, it actually sits really nicely and covers well!
For the skirt, I used the same pattern I'd used for the bridesmaid dresses I mentioned above, McCall's 6466. By now I could do it in my sleep! I just used 4 layers instead of 6. Sewing yards of tulle always turns into a mountain of fluff!
I finished just in time to wear the dress to the ballet - The Nutcracker, a yearly tradition.
I threw on a black cropped sweater I had in my closet, and a black velvet vintage had I'd recently acquired (along with my first hat pin!)
After that, I had a few days until Christmas itself, plenty of time to whip up a simple capelet! Or so I thought...it started out alright, I used Butterick 5032.
The pattern is really very straight forward. The problem was the fabric! I was using the red velvet, and a lining fabric, and they did not want to stay together. I managed to get it done, and make it passable to wear, but from close it looks awful and pulls in all kinds of strange ways, which you can see a little on the corner and edge here.
Fortunately, you can't really tell too much once it's on.
It was still fun to wear, but I think I actually prefer the black cropped sweater with the dress in the end. I look forward to trying out the capelet in an easier to sew fabric soon enough, though!










What a Gorgeous Outfit!
ReplyDeleteYour inspiration pic of the 3 girls in red dresses with white capelets reminds me so much of what my bridesmaids wore at my wedding.
I think I might have to make a red velvet and white dress next Christmas, yours really does look divine!
Looking for a stylish Christmas collection dress for festive celebrations? Onto By Aanchal offers elegant and trendy options designed to make your Christmas look stand out. Their collection is perfect for parties, gatherings, and creating a memorable festive style.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete